



Since I arrived in New York I have been wanting to explore Harlem for obvious reasons, but also to explore the area just north of 125th where the future Columbia University will be. It's difficult for me to imagine this Ivy League school placed among the diversity, history and poverty of this area. I hope it will be a happy marriage....will see in 10 years what the gentrification affects are.
It was great to visit Harlem; it feels so different from other parts of New York City especially those south of Central Park’s north border. In some ways it felt less pretentious in the sense that you don't see anyone walking around with their little dogs dressed in Gucci sweaters or women with huge sunglasses that eclipse half their face. You get the sense that their lives are much different than those of the latter. Rather you hear the sounds of hip hop and Spanish music blaring from the inside of stores, you see more older people, children and colorful run down houses next to soul food restaurants and hair braiding salons. The contrast was refreshing.
No comments:
Post a Comment